Detective Charles Tatum, a 21-year veteran of the Yoknapatawpha County Sheriff's Department, was found dead in his home of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.
However, questions arose almost immediately, and colleagues doubted their friend and fellow officer would take his own life.
The investigation into Detective Tatum's death is ongoing.
Help investigate the case
The Parting Shot case documents are presented in reverse chronological order in the Case Files.
- Click the Evidence, Interview, Biography, or Press tag at the top of the Case Files page to filter by document type.
- Click the Day tags at the top of the Case Files page to filter case documents by the day they happened in the investigation.
Want more info? Check out the Crime Scene FAQ
Where do you start?
If this is your first look at the investigation, you may want to start with the Case Recap or one of these case documents:
- Incident report about the discovery of the body
- Biography of Charles Tatum
- Internal Affairs memo re: Detective Tatum
- Interview with Edith McElroy, who called 911
- Interview with Marion Sanders, who was dating Detective Tatum
Want access to all of the case documents as soon as they're available? Become a Case Detective today.