Get up to speed on the case with these summary videos
Public defender Pam Lipscomb announced that new evidence will clear her client, Benito Flores, of any involvement in the murder of Philip Fontaine and implicate one of the other original suspects.
Lipscomb said they will reveal their findings at Flores' trial, which is scheduled to begin soon.
In the meantime, the Yoknapatawpha County Sheriff's Department is reviewing the Fontaine case file to try to determine what the defense team has up its sleeve.
The Fontaine case
Oxford real estate developer Philip Fontaine was found dead in a pool of blood on his kitchen floor, and the house was a wreck.
There was evidence the victim put up a fight, and it's possible he interrupted a burglary.
Fontaine's young wife Ashley discovered the grisly scene in their kitchen around 1:00 a.m. Both Mrs. Fontaine and her stepson Grant reportedly arrived home minutes before the 911 call was made.
Investigate the case
The Raw Deal case documents are presented in chronological order in the Case Files.
- Click the Evidence, Interview, Biography, or Press tag at the top of the Case Files page to filter by document type.
- Click the Day tags at the top of the Case Files page to filter case documents by the day they happened in the investigation.
Want more info? Check out the Crime Scene FAQ
Where do you start?
If this is your first look at the investigation, you may want to start with one of these case documents:
- Oxford Eagle article on the defense claims
- YCSD incident report
- Oxford Eagle article on the death
- Biography of victim Philip Fontaine