Based on witness statements during interviews, investigators have put together the following summary of the witnesses’ alibis for the evening of Friday, May 12, 2012, when Veronica Smith was murdered.


Alibi and confirmation statements


Hilton Burns Hilton Burns said he left the clinic around 5:00 p.m., grabbed dinner at Bancoc Tai and took it home because he had a presentation to work on. He was alone. No
Ruthie Foreman Ruthie Foreman said she left the hospital and went home for supper, returned to check on a patient. Foreman said she left the hospital after midnight. Ruthie Foreman’s co-workers saw her off and on that night. Janet Colson saw Foreman leaving at 6:00 p.m. Joan Myles saw Foreman leaving the hospital and returning at 11:30 p.m. Sandra Wells saw Foreman at 9:30 p.m. Partially
Dwight Kramer Dwight Kramer said he wasn’t sure what time he left the hospital. He said he arrived home after dinner, ate leftovers and went out back to his workshop at the far end of the property. Angela Kramer said she knew her husband had come home from work, gotten the plate she'd left him and gone out to his workshop, but she didn't actually see him didn't see him until around 11:00 p.m. No
Kenneth Lemmons Kenneth Lemmons said he went to the movies at the Malco Theater in Oxford. Malco Theater employees remembered seeing Lemmons after being shown a photo of him. They said interacted with Lemmons at the ticket window, the concessions stand and the ticket collection point. No one remembered seeing him leave the theater. Partially
James Mendoza Virginia Mendoza said her husband, James Mendoza, arrived home between 7:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. and took her to the ER at Baptist Memorial around 8:00 p.m. Mrs. Mendoza said her husband remained by her side the rest of the night. The ER physician confirmed the Mendozas were there.   Yes
George O'Connor George O’Connor said he was at the Father-Daughter dance with his daughter. Other dance attendees saw him there. John Simms said he saw George O’Connor leave for the men’s room at approximately 8:00 p.m., and he estimated it had been twenty minutes when O’Connor returned. Bill Barton saw O’Connor around 8:00 p.m. in the men’s room, where O’Connor was wiping off his shirt.   Partially
Michael O'Connor Michael O’Connor said he left the hospital at 8:00 p.m. and went home, where he stayed for the rest of the evening. Hospital employees saw Dr. O'Connor leaving around 8:00 p.m. and a neighbor said he arrived home by 9:00 p.m. However, O'Connor couldn’t explain how it took him an hour to get from the hospital to his house if he didn’t stop anywhere. He said he must have been wrong about the times.   No
Elizabeth Sherman   Elizabeth Sherman said she was home most of the evening, except when she made a run to Walmart and her clinic to check on a poodle. Sherman’s live-in boyfriend Heath Barrows said he thought Sherman left sometime after 6:00 p.m. and came home a couple hours later. Neighbor Dorothy Moore saw Elizabeth Sherman pull out of her driveway around 6:30 p.m., but wasn’t positive about the time. Moore said she didn’t see Sherman return.   No
Wallace Smith Wallace Smith said he was alone in his Jamaica, Queens apartment on the night of the murder. Wallace Smith’s neighbor Thomas King said Smith didn't answer his door when King knocked on Friday, May 11, 2012. Neighbor Chet Lamar didn't recall seeing Smith's car in the apartment parking lot that weekend. Neighbor Brenda Curtis thought she saw Smith enter his apartment at approximately 6:00 a.m. on Saturday, May 12, 2012.    No


Crime Scene
5800 N 19th Ave Ste 103
Phoenix, AZ 85015
Voice (623) 565-8573
Fax (602)-274-7280

For Crime Scene Store inquiries: store@crimescene.com

For technical assistance: support@crimescene.com


Find us on Google+

Weekly Updates

Get weekly updates on the investigation.
      Click to view previous updates

Go to top