Robert Pruitt was found shot to death in his home

Robert Pruitt

Robert Alfred Pruitt was born to Richard and Connie Pruitt on April 23, 1977, in Tupelo, Mississippi.

The Pruitts were third generation Mississippians who were very active in their community. Richard was an insurance broker and Connie a schoolteacher. They continued their careers after Robert's birth.

Robert, an only child comfortable with spending time alone, became entranced with electronics and gadgetry. For a time, he thought of becoming an electronics engineer, but in high school realized he had an aversion to math and any kind of design work — which was reflected in his grades. His 10th grade drafting teacher commented on a report card, "Robert labors so meticulously over his work that his assignments are often late, thus bringing his grade down." Robert realized that his talent was as a consumer — buying and using, not inventing and designing.

A school counselor once told his parents, "Robert is such a perfectionist that it could cause him great stress in the future if he doesn't learn to ease up." He seemed able to relax in later school years, but found himself nervous about deadlines, finals and tests.

Later, as an attorney, these tensions developed with his court appearances, but he used his usual relentless, studious methods to perfect his court presentations. He suffered anxiety attacks on occasion, but resisted medication because he said it hampered his performance.

His near-obsession with electronic gadgetry made him popular with his schoolmates, most of whom could not afford expensive state-of-the-art stereo, television, and recording equipment like his. Connie and Richard readily admit that they had a tendency to spoil their only child as he was growing up.

Upon graduation from the University of Mississippi in 1999, Robert enrolled in the Ole Miss Law School. In his last year of law school, Robert fell in love with one of his fellow students, Gloria Bell. They married before their 2003 graduation but soon realized that differences in their backgrounds and future goals were too disparate. After less than a year of marriage, they went through a bitter divorce, which left Robert emotionally and financially drained. Since they both subsequently practiced law in Oxford, their paths crossed frequently and unpleasantly.

Robert threw himself into his work as an Assistant District Attorney with Yoknapatawpha County, but found the work less than satisfying and certainly not capable of supporting him in the style to which he would like to become accustomed, as he told friends in the DA's office.

In 2006, things began to look better for him. He teamed up with a fellow assistant DA, Gary Rayburn, and went into private practice. They found their legal talents meshed well.

In 2008, Robert met a young widow, Vanessa Lockhart, when he did some legal work for her. After several months of dating, they decided to pool their resources and were married. Vanessa owned a modest but attractive home at 604 Tyler Avenue in Oxford where they continued to live. Vanessa often joked that she was sure Robert loved the basement in her home more than he loved her.

Robert adapted to married life well and especially enjoyed his fully-equipped basement home entertainment center that he filled with his extensive electronic collection. At the end of a successful case, he would reward himself with another of his adult toys. He spent numerous solitary hours there, relaxing from the rigors of his practice — to the consternation of Vanessa, who complained of being left alone too much.

Robert loved to watch sports and became enamored with wagering on his favorites. His first bet was with his friends in college, and he had recently been seen frequenting a casino in Tunica, Mississippi.

He claimed he managed to keep gambling within his financial range and never let it get out of hand, but it was a bone of contention with Vanessa, who considered gambling to be throwing money away. They often argued about it.

Robert justified gambling as his way of relaxing and relieving the enormous pressure he was under. He insisted they could afford it since he never went into deep debt, but Vanessa told friends she was less than convinced.

Robert's talent appeared to be as a criminal defense attorney. His criminal cases were not necessarily matters of life and death, and although financially rewarding, they intensified his anxieties. He bought a gun "for protection" and confessed to Vanessa that he hoped it would relieve his nervousness around some of his clients. But after learning to fire it at a firing range, he told Vanessa he hated the idea of it — it terrified him — and locked it away in a file cabinet in his home office. Vanessa confided to friends that she didn't even want it in the house and wished he'd get rid of it.

When fellow defense attorney Pamela Lipscomb was critically injured last fall on the eve of trial, Robert volunteered to take over the defense of accused killer Dudley Brinkman and was granted a brief continuance so he could get up to speed on the case.

Robert was at home preparing for the trial, which was scheduled to begin jury selection on February 22, 2016, when he was shot and killed.


Weekly Updates

Get weekly updates on the investigation.
      Click to view previous updates


Crime Scene
3602 N 16th St
Phoenix, AZ 85016

Voice (623) 565-8573
Fax (602)-274-7280

For Crime Scene Store inquiries:

For technical assistance:

Go to top