Kelly Moran was found dead in her home

Kelly Diane Schrader was born on May 29, 1974, in Miami, Florida. Her mother worked three jobs to support Kelly and her younger sister. The identity of her father remains unknown to this day, as he left his family before Kelly’s first birthday.

Even as a child, Kelly’s obsession with her physical appearance was apparent. Teachers frequently called home due to such habits as showing up late to school after spending hours in front of the mirror curling her hair and refusing to participate in gym class for fear of ruining her hairdo. During her teenage years, Kelly was caught several times for shoplifting at department stores.

Despite her poor academic record, Kelly attended beauty school in 1992 and graduated top of her class a year later. She went on to manage two hair salons in the Tampa Bay area until a falling out with the owner resulted in her resignation in 1996.

After a brief period of unemployment, Kelly landed a job as a sales associate for a local marketing firm through the recommendation of a former client. In 1999, she met Russell Moran when the company hired him as a consulting lawyer over a dispute of intellectual property rights with a rival business.

Sparks flew between Kelly and Russell as they worked together, and no one was surprised when they began formally dating after the lawsuit was settled. Six months later, Russell proposed. Since this was Kelly’s third engagement in almost as many years, everyone was surprised when the couple married in early 2000.

In 2004, the Morans moved to Oxford, Mississippi. Russell was eager to return to his hometown for the eventual opportunity to run for city office.

Kelly went along reluctantly, having always despised the small-town atmosphere but unwilling to give up the financial security offered by her husband. She remained unemployed for the duration of their time in Oxford and entertained herself by socializing with friends at local pubs or one another’s houses.

Shortly after the move, Kelly was involved in a car accident that left her hospitalized for two weeks. She began to take prescription pain medications after being diagnosed with whiplash and spinal fracture.  Although she had sustained only mild injuries, Kelly continued to follow up with her pain management doctor and routinely filled her monthly prescription for painkillers up until her death.

Tell your friends about Crime Scene

Need assistance?

Weekly Updates

Get weekly updates on the investigation.
      Click to view previous updates


Crime Scene
3602 N 16th St
Phoenix, AZ 85016

Voice (623) 565-8573
Fax (602)-274-7280

For Crime Scene Store inquiries:

For technical assistance:

Go to top