The Detective area is loosely organized into the following areas
- Case Summary
- Highlights of the 14 week investigation to assist newcomers.
- Suspect Line Up
- Fourteen persons have undergone close investigation. The actions of
these persons of interest have been cross-referenced with the key information.
Two prime suspects have been identified.
|Crime Scene Items
- Artwork Simple drawings like these samples,
alerted summer-camp teachers, and led investigators to the child.
- The Victims Note Purity Knight gave
a note to the child witness, Dylan Tull. It was found stuck between
pages 54 and 55 of the Complete Poems of Edgar Allan Poe The book was
in the University of Mississippi library.
- Tape Recording of Victim Dylan Tull recorded
the victim's voice
and Stalking Items
Memos and Clippings Items
- Memo Removing Anderson from the case 24 June
97, Detective Anderson is removed from the Knight investigation for
- Letter from
Detective Anderson, Detective Anderson attempts to explain why he
didn't reveal his friendship with the victim.This link takes you
to Anderson's personal web site.
- Ego Shovel Web Site and Ego
Shovel Mail List [site copy, original is defunct]
- Letter From Mississippi Regional Center
In the search for the child witness, investigators contacted all areas
housing children. The Regional Center is located within walking distance
of the crime scene.
- News Article Announcing Boy Witness Found
Witness, Ben Archer, stated he saw a child in the area where he discovered
Purity Knight's body. After a county-wide search the child is located.
- New Article Seeking Witnesses After
speaking with the child seen at the crime scene, officials send a public
appeal for a man that may have also been at the scene. The boy claims
to have given the man Purity Knight's note.
- Memo from Child Protective Services
A preliminary memo sent by Lori Evans of Yoknapatawpha County's Child
Protective Services unit.
- National Star, Tabloid Article The tabloid
media spend a day in Oxford doing an in-depth investigation. The article
purports a police cover-up, and suggests that a similar murder in Oregon
may have involved Detective Anderson.
- Cooter's Search Warrant || View
Search Report Investigators searched the gathering place used by
Oxford cult, Ego Shovel. Witnesses
reported the victim spent over a week in residence here during a March
- Anderson Attempts
to Post Purported Letter From Ed Pierce Detective Anderson has updated
his site to include Poe links, a comments page, and his letter of explanation.
Anderson recently came into possession of a letter that may be from
- Oregonian News Article A similar box
incident was recorded in Oregon. It was noted in an article
appearing in the National Star.
- Similar Case The actual survival instructions
left in the box for kidnapping victim, Barbara Mackle. After the $500,000
ransom was paid, she was released after being buried for 83 hours. This
case is from 1963.