Wednesday February 9, 2011-10:30 a.m.

The witness, Virginia Brooks was the spouse of the DA Spenser Brooks whose body was found in Wall Doxey State Park. The interview was conducted at the Yoknapatawpha Sheriff's Department, and was recorded on a portable audio tape recorder with the witness's knowledge and consent.

• Detective Ted Armstrong
  • Detective Samantha Murphy
  • Virginia Rose Brooks

Virginia Brooks: Have you called me in to tell me you've found the person who murdered my poor Spense?

Detective Armstrong: Please state your name and address for the record.

Virginia Brooks: Oh, I forgot I had to repeat that. My name is Virginia Rose Brooks, and I reside at 439 Chandler Avenue.

Detective Armstrong: Were you aware that your husband had been inside Cabin 11 at the park?

Virginia Brooks: What do you mean? No way. I would’ve known that. What makes you think he was inside?

Detective Murphy: His fingerprints were found inside, Virginia. He had to have been inside.

Virginia Brooks: I don't understand. How? Why would he be there and my not know it?

Detective Armstrong: He had been there more than once because some of the prints were overlaid by other prints.

Virginia Brooks: What do you mean overlaid? Why does that mean he was there more than once?

Detective Armstrong: To have his prints overlaid with his own suggests that he was there multiple times.

Virginia Brooks: That just makes no sense to me. I think you've made a mistake. I can't explain how that is possible.

Detective Armstrong: No mistake.

Virginia Brooks: You're telling me that Spense had secrets that he didn't share with me? I told you he didn't talk much about what was going on but I thought it was just with the job. Oh, that's it. The job took him to that cabin for some reason. Maybe he meets with an informant.

Detective Armstrong: Why didn't you tell us that Spense’s brother Byron was supposed to be in Oxford that weekend, Virginia?

Virginia Brooks: Good grief Ted, I couldn't tell you something I didn't know.

Detective Armstrong: But when we talked to you, didn't you know Byron came to Oxford that day?

Virginia Brooks: Yes, but I was in shock when I talked to you, and I must have forgotten about Byron showing up the house saying he was looking for Spense.

Detective Armstrong: Did he say why?

Virginia Brooks: Yes, he told me that he had wanted to talk to Spense about their mother. He said they had to get things settled about her. They disagreed about her arrangements.

Detective Murphy: What do you mean? Arrangements?

Virginia Brooks: Something to do with how to handle her eventual death and all.

Detective Armstrong: Had they been fighting about it? Were they angry?

Virginia Brooks: I don't know. You'll have to talk to Byron.

Detective Armstrong: Can you think of anyone who might want to harm Spenser? Someone who was jealous of him or had a grudge? Anything?

Virginia Brooks: No. He did put a number of criminals in jail, but he never mentioned anyone feeling that strongly against him. Of course, like I said, he didn't tell me a lot. It would’ve been just like him to meet an informant at the cabin without ever telling me.

Detective Murphy: Do you think Wesley knows anything about cabin 11?

Virginia Brooks: No, no, no. Wesley would have told me. He isn't secretive like his father. We are very close and he knows I would be very hurt if he knew about this.

Detective Armstrong: Have you ever been to Wall Doxey Park?

Virginia Brooks: Sure. We've been there quite often, actually. Picnics, family reunions, boating. Things like that. We never rented out one of the cabins, though. There were a lot of good places for gatherings without using a cabin.

Detective Armstrong: So you've been there with Spense?

Virginia Brooks: Of course.

Detective Armstrong: I'm surprised he wouldn't mention meeting an informant there then.

Virginia Brooks: You know Spense. Excuse me, but I'm suddenly very tired. So many things to take care of and I’m never going to get over Spense not being here.

Detective Murphy: We know it's hard, Virginia. You can go now. Bye.

Virginia Brooks: Thank you. Oh, wait a minute. I just remembered something. Jill Ross. She is not happy with her job. She wanted Spense's. She's taken his place right now. There's someone you should investigate.

Detective Armstrong: How do you know this?

Virginia Brooks: That is one thing that Spense did tell me some time ago. Everyone knows how she felt about Spense. I must go now.

Detective Armstrong: You can go.

Interview ended: 11:09 a.m.

{jcomments on}

Crime Scene
3440 N 16th St, Suite #4
Phoenix, AZ 85016
Voice (623) 565-8573
Fax (602)-274-7280
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Find us on Google+

Get weekly updates on the investigation.

Click to view previous updates

Go to top