The Yoknapatawpha County Sheriff's Department is investigating the death of Douglas Reed, an associate professor in the English Department at the University of Mississippi.
Assistant professor Jake Hemphill discovered the body in a meeting room at the Yoknapatawpha County Conference Center (YCCC). Professor Hemphill said he was there to double-check the preparations for the lecture he was scheduled to co-present in that room later that morning.
When he saw Professor Reed, he went looking for help and ran into YCCC Events Manager Yvonne Boyd, who called 911.
Help investigate the case
The Murder is Academic case documents are presented in chronological order in the Case Files.
- Click the Evidence, Interview, Biography, or Press tag at the top of the Case Files page to filter by document type.
- Click the Day tags at the top of the Case Files page to filter case documents by the day they happened in the investigation.
Want more info? Check out the Crime Scene FAQ
Where do you start?
If this is your first look at the investigation, you may want to start with the Case Recap or one of these case documents:
- Sheriff's Department report on the incident
- Biography of the victim, Douglas Reed
- Interview with the person who found the body
- Interview with the 911 caller
- Interview with a speaker at the conference
- Press coverage of the professor's death