A large amount of trace evidence was collected during the
investigation of the cabin, and recently additional trace evidence has
arrived from the Tumbling Water Land Development Co. truck discovered in
Students are tasked with analyzing the hair and fiber evidence.
Hairs and fibers must first be removed from trace evidence collection
tape by dissolving its adhesive in water and filtering the hairs and
fibers from the solution. Students must then characterize the hairs and
fibers using microscopy.
After all of the evidence from the truck is processed, students must
attempt to match types of hairs and fibers from the cabin to those found
in the truck. During this process, students learn about evidence
handling and comparison.
As in all Lyle and Louise modules, this kit is geared to high school
and undergraduate courses, and is matched to National Science Education
- 30 cabin evidence collections
- 12 suspect evidence collections
- 6 truck evidence collections
- Data collection worksheets
- 144 microscope slides w/ coverslips
- 6 bottles of mounting media
- Fully illustrated teacher's manual with technique background
Required Equipment ( not included )
- Filters, funnels, and filter paper
- Forceps (6 - 12)
- Lab gloves
- Light-transmitting microscopes (6 - 12)
This item can be shipped and stored at room temperature.
This product was added to our catalog on Friday 25 May, 2012.