tackles the issues with experience:
- Lamar cracks down on crime. As Sheriff of
Yoknapatawpha County for the past 12 years and a member
of the Sheriff's department since 1974, Charles "Chuck"
Lamar knows first hand, the tragic results of crime - the
agony suffered by victims. He knows what it takes to run
the finest department, has supported tough sentencing,
and demands the toughest possible penalties for drug
lords, reasonable gun laws and the best in salaries and
training for the first line defense against crime, the
officer on the street.
- Chuck Lamar has earned the respect of his fellow
officers, of the leaders of both parties, and the
admiration of the citizens of Yoknapatawpha County for
his outstanding leadership against crime.
- Born and raised in Yoknapatawpha County, Charles
"Chuck" James Lamar was born February 2, 1950 to Willard
and Ollie Lamar. He attended public schools in Oxford,
graduating from Oxford High School in 1968 after serving
as class president, with letters in football and
- Following in his father's military footsteps, Chuck
joined the Army upon graduation and served his country in
Vietnam as a supply sergeant from 1968 to 1970.
- Chuck attended Ole Miss in Oxford under the GI bill
where he was a starting player for the Ole Miss Rebels
football team in his freshman year. Chuck graduated in
1974 with a B.A. in business.
- He joined the Yoknapatawpha County Sheriff's office
in 1974 as a Deputy serving on the force until his
election as Sheriff in 1985. His combined 23 years of
experience with the Yoknapatawpha County Sheriff's office
make him the clear leader for the job.
- An active family man, Chuck lives with his wife
Caroline and daughter Macy in Oxford.
Philosophy of Hard Work:
- For 23 years Chuck has been consistently and
effectively working for the safety of the citizens of
Yoknapatawpha County. His unselfish dedication to the
people is expressed in the many long hours spent on the
job, in the courts and on the street. With attentive
concern, he has met with and listened to the voice of our
citizens in virtually every area of the County.
- It comes as no surprise that adjectives such as
hardworking, unselfish, vigorous, concerned, effective,
tough and honest have always been used and are almost
synonymous with Chuck Lamar's name.
- "I've worked hard and gotten things done, but that's
not enough. There's more to do in Yoknapatawpha County
and I am pledged to continuing our fight against crime."
- A Vigorous
Civic Leader and Active Member:
- Yoknapatawpha County Sheriff's Deputy for 11 years
1974 - 1985
- Sheriff Yoknapatawpha County 12 years, 1985 - present
- Lifelong resident of Yoknapatawpha County
- Vietnam Veteran
- University of Mississippi 1974
- National Sheriff's Association (Sergeant at Arms)
- Oxford Sertoma (Past President)
- Rotary Club
- Democratic Men's Association
- National Rifle Association
- Bass Fishermen of North America
- Kiwanis Club
- Charles Lamar -- Experience and Leadership
working for Yoknapatawpha County.
- Election Day: Tuesday, November 11th