Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Courtney Morris Homicide Report

Courtney Morris Homicide Report 1 year 7 months ago #1658

• Det. Montresor
  • Fresh Boarder
  • For Good Work
On Sunday morning, at about 0730, the victim, Miss Courtney Morris, was seen by her neighbor, Phyllis Roy, shaking out her rugs.

Mrs. Roy observed several individuals approach the victim's door over the next 4 hours. 
First, Jenna Mayne, an employee at a local flower shop, dropped off a box of six roses with a card reading, "You've made the right choice", sent by Douglas Talbot. The victim picked up the box and brought it inside. According to Mrs. Roy, she appeared pleased with the gift. According to Mr. Talbot, he sent flowers on days when the victim wasn't expecting him.  Her taking the roses inside signaled that it was okay for him to come in. This was at 0830. 

Fifteen minutes later, Douglas Talbot Arrived at the door and entered. According to Mr. Talbot, he left at about 1030. 

According to Mrs. Roy, her grandson, Dylan was visiting her and when he left at 1100, they saw Justin Landry, the victim's boyfriend, arrive. Landry corroborates this, and he claims to have left, the victim alive and well, about an hour later. Thus far, no witness has come forward to confirm his time of departure. 

From approximately 1100 till 1500, the victim's friend, Mee-Yon Kim was attempting to reach Courtney via text message. She came to the apartment at about 1515, became concerned, and called the manager, Craig Albright. He agreed to let Miss Kim in. At 1530, they discovered the victim's body hanged in the closet by her neck from a hangman's noose with a visible contusion above her right eye.

Mr. Landry claims to have no knowledge of Courtney's lover, Mr. Talbot. I do not believe this is the case.  Miss Kim told us that he was showing signs of suspicion, and according to Dylan Roy, he was very possessive of her. Mr. Landry is also the only suspect who blatantly lied to investigators; he claimed to have no knowledge or suspicion that Courtney was involved with any other men and that he was unaware of her receiving any flowers, but his fingerprints were found on the box of roses, as well as on the card.  He also became extremely upset when he was told she was pregnant.  Mr. Landry plays football for Ole Miss, and would be able to lift and maneuver a young woman of Courtney's build.  I believe he lost his temper when he saw the roses and the card, struck the victim, resulting the contusion, and knocking her unconscious. He then methodically rigged up the noose and hung her up, resulting in her strangulation, then left the apartment, locking the door behind him. He never mentioned having a key, but no one asked him, and Mrs. Kim, Courtney's closest friend and confidant, did not have a key, "yet". This suggests to me that the spare most apartment tenants are issued was in Justin's possession.
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Det. Montresor.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Courtney Morris Homicide Report 1 year 7 months ago #1660

• EasTexasTic
  • Expert Boarder
  • For Good Work
I was torn between two suspects for a while and frankly, I still am but I am going with my gut.
Courtney had decided to tell Justin about the baby but I believe that Justin saw the flowers and became angry before she could. He knew then there was someone else for sure and he wanted to know who. A heated argument began when Courtney refused to tell him. He slapped her in the heat of the moment. He grabbed her cell phone and tried to see if he could find a number he thought might be the other man.
He probably did have a team meting because most colleges play their games on saturdays and review film the next day. He probably left and told her that this was not over and they would talk again later. I don't think he killed her though, even if he had time to come back. He would be more likely to go after whoever he thought the lover might be and hurt them.
I also don't think he is the only one who lied to the police. It is quite common in a staged crime scene to divert the attention away from yourself. It is my belief that Mee Yon had a crush on Courtney and she bought the locket for Courtney. Courtney turned down her advances and Mee Yon was upset. She would love Courtney and help her raise the baby. The first thing she did was text Courtney but she didn't respond. She tried again a little later. Still no answer. This made her feel like Courtney was avoiding her now so she went to the apartment a lot earlier than she said in an effort to talk to her again and maybe apologize. Courtney turned her down again. Mee Yon is a champion kick boxer. I checked and it is not uncommon for the hyoid bone to be broken in kick boxing. I think she lashed out without thinking about it, which knocked her out and then proceeded to the hanging. How did she get a rope? That's my biggest problem. It is possible the rope was in the closet from a previous sexual fantasy of being tied to the bed either by Talbot or Landry. That would explain Mee Yon's and Justin's prints both being on the door, Mee Yon's prints on the florist box and the locket. It also is a plausible explanation for Justin's prints being on the florist box and the card but not the locket.

Courtney Morris Homicide Report 1 year 7 months ago #1662

• EasTexasTic
  • Expert Boarder
  • For Good Work
I almost agreed with you but there were a couple of things that just kept putting me off. If Landry did have a team meeting,he would not have gotten through with it and had time to go back to the apartment before she was found. Yes, he could have skipped the meeting or ducked out early but I think he knew that was too easy to check. He might have a temper but I don't think he did it. He is more likely to go after whoever he thinks the lover was. I think Kim was more likely to react in the heat of the moment.
The rope also bothered me. Would whoever killed Courtney have a rope laying around and say "I think I'll hang Courtney" and take the rope with him/her to the apartment. I 6' rope would be very visible unless it was in a bag or something. The only conclusion I could come up with was that it was already there and had been used in sexual role playing. If so, only 3 people would know about it; Mee Yon, and or Justin, and/or Talbot. Talbot has a good alibi, Mee Yon does not (a text message doesn't show where you are at) but if you believe the meeting, Justin also has an alibi.I could definately be very wrong but I had to go with my gut. It will be interesting to see how we compare on the next case. Good Luck!

Courtney Morris Homicide Report 1 year 7 months ago #1664

• Det. Montresor
  • Fresh Boarder
  • For Good Work
You too, Tex!

I think he could have done all this before heading out. His alibi was never confirmed, either, all we have is his word that he was at the meeting and on time.

I had no problem with the rope; anyone might have a rope at home. The knot, though...it takes a few minutes of thought to throw a couple hangman's nooses together. I believe Justin smacked her out of blind rage, but then he had to take a few minutes to fabricate this murder weapon and choose to carry it through. And that few minutes between knocking her out and deciding to finish her off should be enough to show premeditation and justify charging him with Murder One.

And Justin's motive was established and, IMO, stronger than anyone else's. Most of the other motives I saw posted were almost pure speculation.

It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out. When do they post the solution?
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Det. Montresor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EasTexasTic

Courtney Morris Homicide Report 1 year 7 months ago #1668

• EasTexasTic
  • Expert Boarder
  • For Good Work
I am assuming it will be announced after today. Yeah, I know Justin's alibi was never verified but I could see him going after the other lover more than I could see him killing her. I was a very close decision for me though. I got the odd feeling from the beginning that Kim wasn't all she appeared to be. But, which ever way it goes, I hope at least one of us is right.HaHa. This may be a game but I'm glad someone besides me actually takes a real interest in it and treats it like it's a real case. I am so hooked on this site. Hope you are too. It's bee fun bouncing ideas off each other. My hat's off to you, Detective.

Courtney Morris Homicide Report 1 year 7 months ago #1670

• Scarlett
  • For Good Work
There will be a video tomorrow that will answer your question, so be sure and tune in. :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: EasTexasTic
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.269 seconds

New Information for Detectives

Countdown until Case Officers get new information

Crime Scene
3440 N 16th St, Suite #4
Phoenix, AZ 85016
Voice (623) 565-8573
Fax (602)-274-7280
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Find us on Google+

Go to top