Woman with long dark hair

Tuesday, January 26, 2021 – 1:30 p.m.

Virginia Brooks is the wife of Yoknapatapwha County DA Spenser Brooks, who was found shot to death in Wall Doxey State Park.

Detectives Armstrong and Murphy re-interviewed her at the Yoknapatawpha County Sheriff's Department.

• Detective T. Armstrong
  • Detective S. Murphy
  • Virginia Brooks

Virginia Brooks: Have you called me in to tell me you've found the person who murdered my poor Spense?

Detective Murphy: Please state your name and address for the record.

Virginia Brooks: Oh, I forgot I had to repeat that. My name is Virginia Rose Brooks, and I reside at 439 Chandler Avenue.

Detective Murphy: Were you aware that your husband had been inside Cabin 7 at the park?

Virginia Brooks: What do you mean? No way. I would've known that. What makes you think he was inside?

Detective Murphy: His fingerprints were found inside, Virginia. He had to have been inside.

Virginia Brooks: I don't understand. How? Why would he be there and me not know it? That just makes no sense to me. I think you've made a mistake. I can't explain how that is possible.

Detective Murphy: No mistake.

Virginia Brooks: You're telling me that Spense had secrets that he didn't share with me? I told you he didn't talk much about what was going on, but I thought it was just with the job. Oh, that's it. He must've gone to that cabin for work for some reason. Maybe he met with a witness or an informant there.

Detective Murphy: Did he ever tell you that he met people at Wall Doxey for work?

Virginia Brooks: Oh, no. He would never talk to me about something like that. He only talked about his cases with other people at the office. To keep everything confidential, you understand

Detective Armstrong: Virginia, why didn't you tell us that Spense's brother, Byron, was supposed to be in town the day Spense was killed?

Virginia Brooks: Good grief, Ted, I couldn't tell you something I didn't know.

Detective Armstrong: But when we talked to you, didn't you know Byron came to Oxford that day?

Virginia Brooks: Yes, but I was in shock when I talked to you, and I must have forgotten about Byron showing up at the house saying he was looking for Spense.

Detective Armstrong: Did he say why?

Virginia Brooks: Yes, he told me that he had wanted to talk to Spense about their mother. He said they had to get things settled about her. They disagreed about her arrangements.

Detective Murphy: What do you mean? Arrangements?

Virginia Brooks: Something to do with how to handle her eventual death and all.

Detective Armstrong: Had they been fighting about it?

Virginia Brooks: I don't know. You'll have to talk to Byron.

Detective Armstrong: Can you think of anyone who might want to harm Spenser? Someone who was jealous of him or had a grudge? Anything?

Virginia Brooks: No. He did put a lot of criminals in jail, of course, but he never mentioned anyone feeling that strongly against him. Of course, like I said, he didn't tell me a lot. It would've been just like him to meet an informant at the cabin without ever telling me.

Detective Murphy: Do you know if Wesley has ever been to Cabin 7?

Virginia Brooks: No, no, no. Wesley would have told me. He isn't secretive like his father. We're very close.

Detective Armstrong: Have you ever been to Wall Doxey Park?

Virginia Brooks: Sure. We've been there quite often, actually. Picnics, family reunions, boating. Things like that. We never rented out one of the cabins, though. There were a lot of good places for gatherings without using a cabin.

Detective Armstrong: So you've been there with Spense?

Virginia Brooks: Of course. May I ask you a question?

Detective Armstrong: Sure.

Virginia Brooks: When can I have my car back? I'm still driving Spense's SUV, and it's hard … well, I'd just really rather be driving my own car.

Detective Armstrong: It shouldn't be too much longer. When we get it back to you, would you mind if we took the SUV in to have a look?

Virginia Brooks: Why?

Detective Armstrong: Just in case there's any evidence in there that might help us find Spense's killer. You know, since that's the vehicle he usually drove.

Virginia Brooks: Well, I don't see why not as long as I have my car to drive. There are so many things to take care of now with planning the funeral and … everything. I'm never going to get over Spense not being here.

Detective Murphy: We know it's hard, Virginia. Thank you for talking to us again.

Virginia Brooks: Oh, wait a minute. I just remembered something. Jill Ross. She wasn't happy with her job. She wanted Spense's, and now she's got it. There's someone you should investigate.

Detective Murphy: That's a good tip. Thanks. We'll definitely look into that.

Virginia Brooks: Good. Well, if there's nothing else, I really must go now. I have to meet with the minister in a little while.

Detective Armstrong: That'll do it, for now, Virginia. Thanks again. We'll be in touch about the car.

Interview ended – 1:59 p.m.

Login

Contact

Crime Scene
3602 N 16th St
Phoenix, AZ 85016

Voice (623) 565-8573
Fax (602)-274-7280

For Crime Scene Store inquiries: store@crimescene.com

For technical assistance: support@crimescene.com

Get Weekly Updates

Get weekly updates on the investigation.

Please enable the javascript to submit this form

X